Board of Directors
Niagara Pride, Inc. has openings on its Board of Directors. We are seeking highly motivated individuals who have a passion to work with the LGBTQ+ population in a predominately rural county of WNY. Additionally, we are seeking Board Members with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Niagara Pride is an independent 501(c)(3) organization, serving LGBTQ+ individuals and families in Niagara County, NY and the surrounding WNY area. Niagara Pride does a number of community service events, like backpack, clothing, and food drives to benefit local LGBTQ+ youth and adults. We host educational programs like health fairs and our Lunch and Learn Series, where we showcase local healthcare, business, shelters, and religious providers who provide LGBTQ+ specific programs or affirming services. Additionally, Niagara Pride hosts and puts together community June Pride events and programming in Niagara County and throughout WNY, as well as other cultural/social events in an effort to create safe spaces for LGBTQ+ individuals to meet and socialize.
The mission of Niagara Pride is to:
- Promote visibility of the LGBTQ+ community throughout Niagara County of New York State.
- Create safe and welcoming events and meetings for LGBTQ+ individuals, families, and allies, in order to allow for positive socialization that is free of bullying, harassment, and of any negative stigma associated with identifying and being a member of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Create community partnerships with local organizations to promote the enhancement of mental, physical, social, and overall holistic wellbeing of LGBTQ+ individuals in Niagara County and the surrounding areas.
- Engage in community service and charitable programming designed to promote our mission and help others in the community.
- Create community based educational programming aimed at increasing awareness of LGBTQ+ issues and eliminating discrimination.
Qualifications to be a Board Member:
- Directors shall be of the age of majority in this State.
- Directors shall serve without compensation.
- Be willing to invest unpaid time and sweat equity in assisting Niagara Pride with carrying out events and programming, attend meetings, and solicit for donations. As there is no paid staff, Niagara Pride’s Board functions as a working Board.
- Board members will not be expressly or implicitly asked or required to donate money or goods or services to NP, but rather for the good of the organization, will be required to assist with overall organizational fundraising endeavors and/or the organization, implementation, and execution of programming and events.
- Given the sensitive nature of the work conducted by Niagara Pride, Board Members cannot have felony convictions.
- Annually disclose any potential conflicts of interest with their employment, family, or other community involvement, which may interfere with the Board or overall operation of Niagara Pride
General Duties of the Board of Directors:
- Attend monthly meetings (typically one general board meeting per month for approximately 2 hours per month)
- Serve on a Committee to assist with the overall day to day operations of the agency (ie. Programming Committee, Finance Committee, Grant Committee, etc.) (approximately 4-5 hours a month)
- Depending on the project, program, or event, assist with implementing and/or executing it (up to 10 hours a month)
- Attend Niagara Pride’s community based events and programs, when possible
- Perform needed administrative tasks and duties (up to 10 hours a month)
An Ideal candidate for the Board would
- Identify as a member of or be a strong ally of the LGBTQ+ community
- Have an understanding of issues, challenges, obstacles facing the LGBTQ+ community
- Have experience working with individuals, families, youth, or seniors who identify as LGBTQ+
- Have experience with working boards of nonprofits
- Have knowledge or skills with administrative duties such as public relations, correspondence, organizing volunteers, social media development, nonprofit bookkeeping/finances, grant writing, program Implementation
If you are interested in applying for a position on our Board of Directors, please send us an email along with your resume to Justin DeCleene at email@example.com.